Friday, December 9, 2011

Not a Thankless Job


When I told my mom about this little incident, she told me to write it down. So I will. Right here. On this blog. Yesterday night I went to the dentist. I haven't been in far too long. But finally we have insurance so I can go. But that's beside the point. This particular dentist office has evening hours so my appointment was for when Eric got home from work. I left Eric with the kids, the baby and a full bottle of milk. When I got home 2 hours later Ollie was screaming his head off and according to Eric, had been for about the last 40 minutes. He had refused to take his bottle while I was gone, so I figured he was probably starving. I took my super sad little baby and sat down with him to nurse. But instead of nursing, sweet little Ollie just looked up at my face cooing, laughing, sighing with relief, in between leftover sobs. Is was exactly if he'd been saying, "Mommy, I missed you. Mommy, I didn't know where you were! Mommy, I am so glad you are home!" It was just so sweet and tender that it practically had me in tears. I couldn't give my little baby enough hugs. I felt at that moment that motherhood wasn't completely thankless.
Now what am I going to do next week when I have to get those 5 cavities filled?!

4 comments:

Michelle Hayes said...

Thats so cute. :) thanks for sharing your story! :)

Stefani said...

Awwww, so sweet and touching.

The Hillin Family said...

Awe that is so precious. Being a Mommy is the best thing in the world and moments like that make all the sleep-less nights worth it all :)

Emily said...

Thank you for writing this It made me feel a bit better I am a new mom and have been feeling overwhelmed but I have had this happen as well and it is such an amazing feeling when they feel relief from seeing you when you have been gone.